Sunday, March 3, 2013

Another one bites the dust....

    What a weekend. Missed out on the paid gig Friday, missed out shooting another roller derby bout saturday night because I needed to stay home with mamma and still sick (but better) baby. But I also had to turn down another gig offer, and this one I really don't feel bad about at all.
    Responded to a CL add looking for a photographer for an event on an upcoming holiday weekend. (details purposely withheld because the contact guy was pretty cool and seemed to have been honestly put into a bad position by the event organizer). Anway, the conversation went something like this:

Gig: We want you to shoot our event on (holiday). There are multiple shifts for photographers, each is 6 hours long. How much would you charge?

Me: How many images would you expect and how much post processing work are you expecting on them?

Gig: Oh, we will take raw images off your card at the end of your shift, no post needed, we have someone for that.

Me: Ok- six hours on a holiday weekend, no post, pretty easy, how about $300?

Gig: We were thinking more like some drink tickets and a $25 dollar food voucher...

Me: For a six hour shoot on a holiday?

Gig: Yeah. Sorry, I am a photographer too, I get it, but that's what the budget is. But you'll be getting exposure and lots of the guests are event people too so you can hand out your cards.....

Me: Yeah, sorry, I can't do six hours for drinks and a food voucher.

Gig: Yeah, I understand. If you can think of anyone you know who may be interested, please pass our contact info along.

Me: Sure, I'll do that.

   So- just so I can say later I keep my promises- Any of you other photographers out there interested in a gig on an unspecified upcoming holiday weekend where you will shoot for six hours in exchange for a couple free drinks and a food voucher? If so message me and I will give you some contact info. Somehow I doubt I will hear from anyone. Noticed today the the same add was still being reposted on CL, seems like they are having lots of trouble finding someone to take this great offer.

  So, you may ask, I am shooting events for free right now. What's the difference? Simple. The events I am shooting now for free are events I would be paying for a ticket or cover charge to see otherwise. I am building experience and a portfolio shooting shows put on by friends, who I would be supporting regardless. If it isn't something that will be fun for me, well, you better pay me what it's worth to spend time away from my family. And sorry, a few drinks and a voucher doesn't cut it.


No comments:

Post a Comment