Sunday, July 21, 2013

Gear Review: Kata Access 18 PL camera bag.




  This review will complete the triumvirate of bags I use. Like I mentioned in my first bag review, the two Think Tank bags, my Airport Accelerator and Retrospective 10, cover about 95% of my camera bag needs. The other very specific 5% is handled very nicely by the Access 18PL from Kata Bags.

   This is my smallest bag (at least for the D4. I have a couple of smaller bags for the D3200 that I may talk about later, but probably not since they aren't in production anymore so there wouldn't be much point.) This is the one I use when my main lens will be the 70-200, or I just need to go really, really light load. This bag will hold the D4 with the 70-200 attached. If you unzip the bottom expander it will even hold it with the lens hood attached in shooting position. The downside to that is that once you open the expansion, there is no padding on the bottom of the bag to cushion the lens, but this is mitigated by the fact that you have the hood on and the hood will be between any hazard and the ground.

  The top closure has two seals, a double zipper and a quick clip. With the zippers unzipped and just the quick clip holding the flap shut, this bag lets you run and gun with a full size pro body, 70-200mm lens, with or without the hood, quick and easy access to the camera but protected and easy to carry when not in use. True holster bag. And that is how I use it. This bag comes out when I need the big lens on and not much else. There are two side pockets which make use of the space between the lens body and the edges of the camera body. One is larger than the other and will hold a speed light nicely, the SB910 fits easily. It can hold another lens, but not another pro zoom comfortably. It will take the 24-70, but that one is bulky enough that it pushes the camera sideways in the bag a bit and makes it hard to draw or re-holster. It would hold a standard slimmer zoom just fine though, not sure about other primes because I don't have any to test. The smaller pocket is perfect for my 50mm.

  That's my usual load out when I use this bag- D4 with the 70-200 mounted ready to go in the main pocket, speed light in the larger external pocket, 50mm and some business cards in the smaller outside pocket. There are a couple of small organizer pockets inside the main compartment that hold spare batteries. That's about it. It holds it all comfortably, the bag is very lightweight and the shoulder strap is comfortable and very grippy. There is also a convenient grab handle on the top flap.

    Not a lot of wasted or extra space in this bag. It's a bare bones, specific purpose item. But when it comes time to fulfill that purpose it does so exceptionally well. And that is the third and currently final entry into my camera bag trifecta.

No comments:

Post a Comment