Monday, April 15, 2013

This picture may have saved a life or three.

    Back from Lucidity Festival. 1400 shots taken over 4 days to go through before posting, but just had to get this one out because it may be the most important picture I have ever taken. Midway through the set Friday on the Alive Stage, I decided to take a pic of the rigging on the chain motor the aerialists were flying from, just to use as a reference. I zoomed in on the playback to check focus because I was also playing with a few focus modes.

    Riggers- can you see what I noticed when I took a close look? (sorry if you have to scroll, posted full size so you can see the details...)



    Now, I am not an chain hoist expert, but I didn't have to be to catch this problem. If you missed it, take a close look at the shackle holding up the chain motor..... Anyway, stopped the show until we got it fixed and re-rigged properly.

    So, initial cut looks like I got a lot of awesome shots from the festival, and maybe figured out some tricks in the mastery of Excalibur, more on that later in the full post festival photo extravaganza, but between my rigging experience and the universe putting me in the right place at the right time with a camera and good zoom lens, I'd like to think that I may have kept something really nasty from happening to some cool aerialists I had the pleasure to meet over the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! great eye- not fully screwed in? Should it not also have a safety pin?
    Happy you saw it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catching it was just pure blind luck. It should have been secured with either a zip tie or a lockwire when it was rigged. After it was tighten down again I went up and zip tied it. That shackle didn't have a pin.

      Delete