Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Giant Step Back(up)wards

    Ok, so last week while processing images from the #BeingLovedIs circus charity event I shot on 18 Jan 2013 I ran out of space on my hard drive. I knew this was inevitable, I just didn't realize it would happen so soon... damn plug in editors that create a second master file in aperture just to remove noise... anyway, I spent the weekend designing my future storage and backup systems in theory, and ordering the external hard drives and software to make it possible.

    This afternoon the last of it arrived. So, I just split up my collection in to a personal and professional library and now have a working external drive for professional projects, and both my personal and professional libraries are backed up in multiple locations.

    Despite having all the data backed up in at least two places that would not be effected by anything I did wrong in this process, deleting 150gb of images off my primary hard drive generated quite a bit of fear and trepidation overcome with a heaping dose of Ballast Point Victory at Sea Imperial Stout. Initial testing appears good, I am fully functional, ready to rock, and have plenty of room for growth and upcoming shoots!

    Guess I will also try to tie this to some valuable life lesson or philosophy, so here it goes. Over the past few years I have learned that in order to grow and move into a bigger, better space, whether it's computer storage, love, or life, you have to be willing to take risks, face your fears, and maybe get rid of some of the old baggage that's tying you into your present situation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment