Monday, January 28, 2013

What's in a name?

    So, why Happy Dragon Photography? There are many reasons that all sort of converged on it. I had/have my aerial performance, rigging and instruction company Aerial Monster Entertainment but that name came out of an inside joke from my failed marriage. As 2012 was closing and I was seriously thinking about putting my photography out there, I realized that the aerialmonster name was a link; however weak, to the past I was trying to get away from and I needed to rebrand to move forward. So I started trying to come up with a good name.

    Flash back to a year ago as I started getting ready for this past festival season, I was looking for a way to make it easy for friends (and pregnant GF who would be coming late to join me at a few) to find my camp. So I got a flagpole and started looking for flags. The two I liked best were a Smily Face flag and a Dragon shaped wind sock, so in medieval tradition I told people to look for me under the sign of the Happy Dragon.

    Then there is my son. Born in the Year of the Dragon, we decided to give him the middle name Draegon since he is our little dragon. As mentioned before, he was also the impetus behind this new foray in to photography.

    So, when I was getting ready to set up the web site and going through images I had taken trying to find a logo and come up with branding, I came across a picture of him with a dragon hat on and a cute smile and the branding hit me like a freight train.

    There you have it, that's how Happy Dragon Photography got the name. I am in the process of incorporating it and once that is done phasing out AerialMonster over the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment